Friday, September 26, 2008

My Favorite Building In Town

This is a site that greets me everyday as I leave school. I think this is one of, if not the prettiest state capital buildings in the United States. The interior is stunning as well.

It is a privilege to see this building everyday. To be in the presence of the institution that this building represents. This building represents many things, but to me a legislature represents freedom most of all.

This evening I was listening to a song and I started to ponder some of the words. It goes something like this:

What a Friend we have in Jesus,

All our sins and griefs to bear!

What a privilege to carry

Ev'rything to God in prayer!

Oh, what peace we often forfeit,

Oh, what needless pain we bear,

All because we do not carry

Ev'rything to God in prayer!

I had to ask, do I really realize the privilege I have, a privilege that is far greater than being in the presence of the seat of freedom for this state, when I am praying? Maybe a better way of saying it is do I treat prayer and approach prayer as the privilege it is? There is a saying that goes something like 'you don't know what you have until you loose it' - somewhat the antidote to 'familiarity breeds complacency.' What would life be like without prayer? What would it be like without knowing that God hears? I am thankful that God has provided such an avenue as prayer.

3 comments:

Autumn said...

Good thought. Sometimes I wonder if we take for granted that prayer puts us in direct contact with the God of the entire universe. Solemn and amazing thought.

I actually have never been inside of the capital building. I should tour around it some day.

Elizabeth said...

Agreed!! Well said, attorney Paet. :) Thanks for sharing the pics...I don't reckon I've been to the capital...not sure. I'll visit soon! I have my drivers license now!! WOO HOO!!! :D

Paeter said...

Autumn, good point on who we really are interacting with when we pray. Your comment got me to thinking about some of the instances in the OT where God's visible presence was seen. God's power, majesty, glory was a clear and present reality. I toured the capital when I was in elementry school just after it was renovated, I would highly recommend it.

ET - I'm not an attorney and I can't give legal advice for it is against the law. I might end up scrubbing floors if I do!